Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Waste. And the world as we know it.

Dirt Heart
(Total coincidence that photo goes perfectly with my post)
I just returned from my first Mommy and Me class at a local Waldorf school with Reedy.  It was so hippie de schmippie and lovely.  We made lunch together.  We ate brown rice with nutritional yeast and avocado and had "adults' tea" and "children's tea."  Then afterwards, we scraped all the leftovers into a compost tan, washed the dishes by hand, and felt good about the world.

Back home now, I've pulled out leftover lasagna to reheat for lunch (made at home on Monday of course, woo hoo, go me) and realized it was time to throw out old leftovers (also homemade) that had been sitting in the fridge for at least a week.  Not so woo hoo me.  So much waste.  Easily 3 cups of cooked pasta, lightly sauced with Raos - which is $$$$$.  And a serving and a half of Chicken Basque that I made to freeze, but also ate one night for dinner and had leftovers that never got finished.  sigh.  So much waste.  I HATE wasting.  I hate wasting of all varieties.  But food - which could *relatively* easily be composted, put back into the earth, and make the soil and our lives, BETTER, it kills me to waste that.  To dump it into the trash, literally throwing money away.

One of my long term goals is to compost.  One of my hopes is that this challenge results in far lest waste overall.  I am already eliminating all the additional packaging that comes with any ordered food.  No paper, no plastic, just fresh ingredients, cooked and served - with the exception of freezer bags of course, but that's still much less "wasted" material than individually packaged to-go everything.

Do you think about waste?  And how terrible it is secretly, silently, but not slowly, making our planet?  I actually try not to think about.  It makes me horribly depressed because I know I contribute to the problem just by being alive, I know I could do better, and there are only so many hours in the day, which is how we got to this place anyway.

Here are some depressing links if you feel like going down a rabbit hole of how terrible human beings are to our beautiful, exquisite planet.  I warned you.

It's the End of the World as We Know It...and He Feels Fine

A movie about all the birds dying from eating plastic on this beautiful remote island

The Story of Stuff

Composting - you should do it.  I should too...

No comments:

Post a Comment